Advantages of Haskell

341 viewsEducationGeneral Discussions

Advantages of Haskell

It seems like the use of Haskell is slowing/blocking adoption, since apparently it is difficult to learn and develop on. Especially when compared to other blockchains (no personal experience though). But what are the advantages of using Haskell? Will it provide something to this blockchain that others don’t have?

I know there are some solutions in the pipeline to make developing easier, will they really help adoption?

I’m completely not into programming and really don’t know what the actual difference is, but I am curious about this since it seems to be one of the obstacles of adoption. I’m sure there are enough guys around here with more detailed knowledge about this 🙂

Changed status to publish

The Haskell language has closer ties to formal verification which makes it easier to verify the programs are doing what they are supposed to do. In addition its functional style fits nicely to Cardano’s accounting model. Still you can do everything you do with Haskell with other languages too. Personally I’m not a big fan of using it for a large scale project like Cardano. Especially making the average developer grasp monads in order to write smart contracts is imo a horrible choice. Iirc they also are going to prototype the light client Mithril in Rust so maybe we will see a move away in the future.

Almost all Financial systems are built in Haskell for a reason. It’s way harder to mess things up and cause losses with Haskell. This is all you need to know. Cardano is building the next financial system. Most blockchains as of right now have limited real world use cases, most projects are “we make this blockchain faster, we made a dex to exchange tokens, you can lend money” and that’s about it. Cardano opens the doors to new possibilities with its eUTXO model. I see other blockchains as basement projects for fun, and Cardano as making something that can be used by corporations.

Here is a good link to why financial systems use Haskell. https://serokell.io/blog/functional-programming-in-fintech