How are prices and market caps of new projects decided?

153 viewsEducation

How are prices and market caps of new projects decided?

I’ll start off by saying that I don’t want to name a specific project that I have questions about. I might be misunderstanding this completely so I’ll avoid creating a witch hunt.

So there’s this new project and they’re rolling out their newly dropped token. When I check several sources, there is an indication of max supply but no indication of circulating supply. The top 5 wallets own around 97% of the total supply at the moment. Yet this token is priced at almost $3 which would put their market cap on almost $3 billion while they released a couple of days ago. How does this work? Where does this value come from? Isn’t it reasonable to assume that all projects start at $0 and they can gain value by people simply buying the tokens?

To me, it all seems extremely sketchy but it’s also the first time I’m following a rollout from the start. Can anyone explain/clarify how something like this happens? It would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Lakshitha Kumara Answered question June 13, 2024

By multiplying the number of coins in circulation by the current market price of a single coin. The current price is determined by how much liquidity of the token was provided when paired with blockchain’s native coin (like ETH, or ADA etc)

Sashitha ilepperuma Answered question June 13, 2024
You are viewing 1 out of 2 answers, click here to view all answers.